Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Jolon-Ensoku (Field trip)


Jolon is going with his class to the famous island, Miyajima, today on a field trip. Luckily Hiromi and Toshi came over last night with tons of food so I was able to save some of the rice and tempura she made and put it into their bentos. (Kellan is also going on a field trip to a nearby park). I boiled some corn this morning, stewed a little pumpkin and included a baked chicken dish I made yesterday. Jolon had to be at school by 8:20 so I was up early getting the bento together and packing his bag. According to the newsletter yesterday he needed a water canteen, a bento, a plastic sheet to sit on, a plastic bag with a wet cloth, a plastic bag with a change of pants and underwear, a hat, and socks for his tennis shoes. These are all of the things that he's needed for field trips so far in Spring Wind class, and I usually make a big deal out of asking him to make sure everything is in the bag. We usually look at the newsletter the night before and pack the bag together. But last night with Toshi and Hiromi went late and this morning I did all of the packing myself without mentioning any of it to Jolon. So I was so surprised this morning when just as we were walking out the door, he stopped and asked me if I'd packed the plastic sheet he sits on while eating. I thought that was so mature of him to be thinking about what he needed for his trip before we left the house.

1 comment:

Jane said...

A Sunday morning news show had a segment on Bento Boxes and Allison had saved if for me to see...it certainly brought back memories of Japan as they showed the beautifully prepared bite-size pieces of food, placed so neatly in the boxes. They spoke of it being an art, as colors and shapes were considered as important as food flavor. It was a neat little story.