Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Kellan




Kellan's teachers said that he and all of the boys in his class love trains. In fact at home, he can say "shinkansen," ("dindansen") and distinguish a picture of one from a regular train, "densha" ("dinsa"). They sing a song at school about a train and each child will grab onto the shoulders of the child in front of him until everyone is attached, forming a long train. It seems to be the favorite song at the moment in the little pigs class. Because trains are so popular at the moment, yesterday Mari Sensei made a little train out of a big cardboard box. 3 children can get in it, hold it up around their bodies and by walking together they can go around the room in the train. Fumiko Sensei wrote that when it was Boushi han's (Hat group, which is Kellan's small group) turn to do it in front of everyone, he became very shy and embarrassed and kept putting his face down on the ground.

Some of the words Kellan can say at the moment: Sensei, boushi, apple, banana, streetcar, car or "bu bu," which is the Japanese baby word for car, ball ("bebow"---that's not Japanese, just what Kellan is calling ball at the moment, pants, "ku ku," for shoes.

Some of his favorite things: balls, hats, shoes, trains, and streetcars

Favorite foods: fish, rice.....not much else, although he'll tolerate pumpkin, corn and broccoli. Unfortunately he likes little hotdogs which are quite popular in Japan. He also loves Japanese curry, which is something that all Japanese kids love.

Foods he doesn't like: fruit, potatoes, avocado

Nicknames: Kel Kel, Baby doll, Doll Bird, Doll Prince. (poor Kellan!)

Sleep: still not nightweaned. but most nights goes to sleep around 8:00, quite often with Jan who will sometimes give him a bottle of milk, but usually not and then he wakes up about 10 or 11 and cries the house down until I go in and nurse him. Then most nights he sleeps until 5ish and I'll nurse him again. Usually he'll then sleep until 6 or 7. I am intending to at least night wean him, but I must not be ready because I can't bring myself to do it. The other night he nursed for a long time on one side and I was nearly asleep again, assuming he was. Finally he popped himself off (rare) and said, "achi," which means "that one." In other words, he popped off to tell me he wanted the other nipple! I nearly laughed out loud.

1 comment:

Jane said...

Hey, Kellan...I think to be part of the Watson family, you will HAVE to start eating fruit AND avocados...I am not even sure you mom will give you a pass on tomatoes...I mean that is just the way it is..so just buck up and DO IT!!