When I arrived in the park to pick up Jolon yesterday, a teacher came over and said he'd just fallen and was with Ibuki Sensei back at school. Jolon was in the genkan with a big white bandage around his knee and Encho Sensei (the principal) hugging him. Ibuki was just heading back to the park but she warned me that it was pretty bad and might require stitches. Jolon looked like he'd been crying lots but was pretty calm. I had come on foot and they seemed in a hurry to get to the hospital so I rode on Encho Sensei's bicycle with Jolon on back and she borrowed another teacher's bike. Meanwhile, Kellan, who happened to be coming in from the garden, caught a glimpse of me and started WAILING, so someone whisked him away so I could see to Jolon. They had called Jan and he canceled his last class and was coming as quickly as he could. We actually met him on the way, swapped bikes and they continued on while I went back for Kel. Just before we met Jan, Jolon was starting to get upset and was talking about shots and how it was going to hurt. Later Jan told me Jolon had done fine on the rest of th bike ride, but just before they went into the hospital, he got scared and cried a lot. But when it was time for the doctor to clean the cut, Jolon apparently gritted his teeth and solemnly looked away. Jan asked him if it hurt, and Jolon, staring off into the distance, (a la Uncle Nicky) just nodded. Jan asked him if I'd told him to look away and he shook his head. Suddenly, he calmly announced, "There's a fish." Sure enough, there was a tropical fish in an aquarium behind the doctor. Luckily, no stitches were needed after all. We'll go back in a few days for the doctor to check and make sure it's ok, but he thinks it will be fine. According to Jolon what actually happened was they were leaving the garden to go to the park and he was holding hands with Miu, who suddenly took off, dragging Jolon, who fell and must have fallen down on a sharp stone. He's walking fine and it doesn't seem to bother him. He was pretty happy to get out of taking his bath. The teachers were very sweet and apologized lots, although clearly, it was just an accident. Today at school everyone had heard about it and teachers of other classes who I rarely talk to, knowing Jolon was fine, were still asking me about him.
Thursday, May 29, 2008
Jolon's fall
When I arrived in the park to pick up Jolon yesterday, a teacher came over and said he'd just fallen and was with Ibuki Sensei back at school. Jolon was in the genkan with a big white bandage around his knee and Encho Sensei (the principal) hugging him. Ibuki was just heading back to the park but she warned me that it was pretty bad and might require stitches. Jolon looked like he'd been crying lots but was pretty calm. I had come on foot and they seemed in a hurry to get to the hospital so I rode on Encho Sensei's bicycle with Jolon on back and she borrowed another teacher's bike. Meanwhile, Kellan, who happened to be coming in from the garden, caught a glimpse of me and started WAILING, so someone whisked him away so I could see to Jolon. They had called Jan and he canceled his last class and was coming as quickly as he could. We actually met him on the way, swapped bikes and they continued on while I went back for Kel. Just before we met Jan, Jolon was starting to get upset and was talking about shots and how it was going to hurt. Later Jan told me Jolon had done fine on the rest of th bike ride, but just before they went into the hospital, he got scared and cried a lot. But when it was time for the doctor to clean the cut, Jolon apparently gritted his teeth and solemnly looked away. Jan asked him if it hurt, and Jolon, staring off into the distance, (a la Uncle Nicky) just nodded. Jan asked him if I'd told him to look away and he shook his head. Suddenly, he calmly announced, "There's a fish." Sure enough, there was a tropical fish in an aquarium behind the doctor. Luckily, no stitches were needed after all. We'll go back in a few days for the doctor to check and make sure it's ok, but he thinks it will be fine. According to Jolon what actually happened was they were leaving the garden to go to the park and he was holding hands with Miu, who suddenly took off, dragging Jolon, who fell and must have fallen down on a sharp stone. He's walking fine and it doesn't seem to bother him. He was pretty happy to get out of taking his bath. The teachers were very sweet and apologized lots, although clearly, it was just an accident. Today at school everyone had heard about it and teachers of other classes who I rarely talk to, knowing Jolon was fine, were still asking me about him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment