Thursday, July 17, 2008

Chadokuga (Poison tea tree moth)





Jolon got bitten by a poisonous moth. He came home yesterday with a rash on his abdomen and a slight fever, but he'd been for a long walk at school and a trip to the family pool with his class. We were pretty sure it was just a heat rash. But when we got to school this morning and showed his teachers, they knew right away that it was the moth. Jan took him straight to the doctor and she gave him some oral medication and cream to help stop the itching. As it turns out, it was most likely poison that was on the body of the moth that got on Jolon, and not actually a moth bite. These moths are out in the trees and parks this time of year. Poor thing, the rash is actually pretty nasty looking (click on the pictures to see up close just how bad it is). The good news is that it should clear up soon with the medicine. His teachers and the principal of the school all apologized to us profusely, although of course it's not their fault. I guess they must feel somewhat responsible when anything like this happens during school hours, but it wasn't anything that could be helped. I think a couple of kids from the older classes have the rash as well. When Jolon came home Wednesday afternoon, Jan said that the teachers had checked Jolon's temperature and mentioned that he had a low-grade fever but seemed otherwise ok (this was before the rash appeared). I'm actually amazed that with 20 kids, his two teachers even noticed that he was hot enough to check if he had a fever. It's nice to know that they take such good care of him and are that tuned in to how the kids look and feel.

2 comments:

Jane said...

Poor Jolon--I saw a close-up shot and the rash looks terrible...I am glad he got some medicine to help with itching..do hope it clears up soon.
I too am amazed at how his teachers are so alert to anything being wrong with children--as a former teacher, I can appreciate the difficulty with keeping up so closely with each child...I am very impressed!!
Get well soon, Jolon!!! We love you, Grammy

Malaina said...

Jolon is better today. The rash still looks pretty bad, but it doesn't seem as itchy. I saw some him pulling his shirt up and showing his rash off to some of his friends in the park this afternoon. He may be enjoying the extra attention.