Monday, January 11, 2010

waffles, pancakes and a bonfire


I ended up having 3 Moms, one Dad, 3 five year olds, 3 three year olds, one baby and no Jan over for breakfast this morning. Really nice people and the kids were not too terribly crazy. I realized that having a "party" with 3 year olds and 5 year olds is WAY easier than a similar party we had last year at this time with 2 year olds and 4 year olds. The older kids ended up making a restaurant for the Lion class kids and inviting the adults to come as well. Very sweet and reminded me of times when I did this as a child with my friends for my parents. WEIRD. Then we went to Sorazaya park for their annual burning of the special goods from last year's festivals....arrows and other important New Year's decorations that technically shouldn't be thrown out in the normal trash. We watched the priest bless the fire and do his chanting and praying and then they poured kerosene all over the bamboo-framed pile of trees and goods from last year and torched it. Unsurprisingly, Kellan freaked, while Jolon was so taken with the scene that when I asked him what he thought about it, he could only come out with, "Atsui...atsu sugira," (It's hot.....it's way too hot).

No comments: