At least 60 people, including kids, showed up for the party. Although I'd asked for no gifts plenty of people showed up with something. Aidan brought a Boston Red Sox baseball cap and it was so cute when he gave it to Jolon. Jolon loves the cap but I think Aidan enjoyed giving it as much or more than Jolon did receiving it. Several people gave him homemade gifts (ninja throwing stars made of paper, wooden airplane, etc.) Suzie and Vince took the boys to the park around 4:00 before the party started at 6:00. At 4:30 I raced over to the restaurant with a stroller full of picture books for the tables, leggos, the cds we made for gifts, and the signs that Erin made. Jan was working until 6:00, and Mom was watching Esme. When things were set up, I ran back to nurse Esme and get dressed while Mom took the first batch of cupcakes over. When she came back I went over with the cake, ready to greet the first guests. Suzie and Vince arrived with the boys about a quarter after 6 and the boys both had slightly solemn faces and huge eyes as they walked in, slowly taking in the scene. Jan came over with Mom and Esme about 6:30 and by that time the party was really going strong. At first some of Jolon's friends came over to give him their presents and the next thing I knew he was with his friend Yura, staring at the movie (The Incredibles) that was playing on the wall in the background. He stayed there for quite a while explaining to Yura what was happening (I'd let him watch the movie that morning while I was finishing the cake). Meanwhile kids were running amok while the adults were scrambling to order food and drinks and catching up. Wild and noisy as it all was, the staff didn't seem to be bothered (they were incredibly busy anyway) and the kids did have a ball, which really was the point. Cake, crown cookies, and wild things cupcakes went down very well. Highlight of course was when the lights were turned off and the whole place sang Happy Birthday, Jolon. Around 8:30 the lights went out for real, some kind of electric problem, and though the party would probably have kept going, it seemed like a good time for people to start heading home. I was so happy that Mom could be there to see Jolon, as well as meet up with some of our friends again. I was a bit worried that she wouldn't like coming to such a big party, but she worked the room and had a great time by the looks of it. She was also a HUGE help with the preparations: talking me through icing color decisions, painting black eyes on marshmallow eyes at 11:00 at night, and strategically placing cashews onto cupcakes instead of napping on Sunday afternoon. Thank you, Grammy. We love you, Jolon. Happy 5th birthday!
Tuesday, November 10, 2009
Happy Birthday, Jolon
At least 60 people, including kids, showed up for the party. Although I'd asked for no gifts plenty of people showed up with something. Aidan brought a Boston Red Sox baseball cap and it was so cute when he gave it to Jolon. Jolon loves the cap but I think Aidan enjoyed giving it as much or more than Jolon did receiving it. Several people gave him homemade gifts (ninja throwing stars made of paper, wooden airplane, etc.) Suzie and Vince took the boys to the park around 4:00 before the party started at 6:00. At 4:30 I raced over to the restaurant with a stroller full of picture books for the tables, leggos, the cds we made for gifts, and the signs that Erin made. Jan was working until 6:00, and Mom was watching Esme. When things were set up, I ran back to nurse Esme and get dressed while Mom took the first batch of cupcakes over. When she came back I went over with the cake, ready to greet the first guests. Suzie and Vince arrived with the boys about a quarter after 6 and the boys both had slightly solemn faces and huge eyes as they walked in, slowly taking in the scene. Jan came over with Mom and Esme about 6:30 and by that time the party was really going strong. At first some of Jolon's friends came over to give him their presents and the next thing I knew he was with his friend Yura, staring at the movie (The Incredibles) that was playing on the wall in the background. He stayed there for quite a while explaining to Yura what was happening (I'd let him watch the movie that morning while I was finishing the cake). Meanwhile kids were running amok while the adults were scrambling to order food and drinks and catching up. Wild and noisy as it all was, the staff didn't seem to be bothered (they were incredibly busy anyway) and the kids did have a ball, which really was the point. Cake, crown cookies, and wild things cupcakes went down very well. Highlight of course was when the lights were turned off and the whole place sang Happy Birthday, Jolon. Around 8:30 the lights went out for real, some kind of electric problem, and though the party would probably have kept going, it seemed like a good time for people to start heading home. I was so happy that Mom could be there to see Jolon, as well as meet up with some of our friends again. I was a bit worried that she wouldn't like coming to such a big party, but she worked the room and had a great time by the looks of it. She was also a HUGE help with the preparations: talking me through icing color decisions, painting black eyes on marshmallow eyes at 11:00 at night, and strategically placing cashews onto cupcakes instead of napping on Sunday afternoon. Thank you, Grammy. We love you, Jolon. Happy 5th birthday!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Those cupcakes look great! You are SUPERMOM! Loved hearing about all the festivities!
Post a Comment