We've been here a little over a month. Feels like forever since we left Japan, but we talk about Hiroshima and our friends there all the time. We miss you guys. and HAPPY, HAPPY Birthday, Amara Chibi Chan.
The plane ride here, starting from the first minute we stepped into the Hiroshima airport about 5:45 that Wednesday morning when the boys took off running away (way away) from me down a long corridor while I stood there helplessly holding Esme watching Jan struggle with the carts carrying all 13 of our bags, was tough. I might write about it one of these days, but for now, would prefer not to reminisce.
anyway, here is the latest with us:
Jan: Green card arrived last week!! He hasn't bought his first property yet, but he's loving looking at houses, meeting with other investors, and just generally getting to know the market here. He can't wait to buy his first car in America, and is trying to convince me to get a 10 year old Lincoln Town car or a cadillac. I guess the back seat is SO big that getting 3 car seats across it isn't a problem. We're hesitant to buy a mini-van (the uncool factor) but don't want a big gas-guzzling SUV for obvious reasons, so we're a bit stuck.
I'm adjusting to stay at home Mom status, and although a bit tired of playing Spiderman and the bad guy games, I am enjoying it. Even nicer now that the weather has warmed up a bit and we can walk down to my friend's property and hike around, play in the creek, look at the ducks, goats, cows, horses, etc. The play school the boys are in on Tues. and Thurs. is working out well, but I have to say 9:00 - 2:00 is a bit short. My Mom is such great help...I mean she cooks nearly all the meals, does all of the washing, and all of the cleaning. She is fantastic. Esme is so spoiled. Most days, Mom holds her for her morning and afternoon naps. I'm spoiled too. It will be nice to move out eventually and get a place of our own, but it will be another big adjustment for me with 3 kids on my own all day. We have joined the local Y and they have a daycare option for parents which is really nice. A good swim several times a week is keeping me sane. Haven't found the time to go out with many friends yet, but hope to soon.
After tearful goodbyes in Hiroshima, Jolon was very excited to be greeted by Allie and Taylor at the airport in Nashville. He spent the first week acting quite wild and frazzled, but once the jet lag wore off and he settled into the new routine here, he calmed down. We talked lots about new beginnings, new friends, etc. but naturally he was nervous before his first day at the Tues/Thurs. play school. He has a sweet teacher who seems very kind and capable, and he likes her. By the second day he came home talking about two new friends: Max and Jack. He and Kellan just finished a round of swimming lessons at the Y, and he loves being in the pool. He and Kellan still speak to each other in Japanese, and we talk about their Japanese hoikuen friends a lot. If he sees a dinosaur, he'll mention Shintaro or he'll talk about playing sumo with Yura. Just the other day he said, "Ogawa is my best friend." So cute. We're thinking of our Aozora friends as they get ready to become Ohisama gumi.
Kellan: Kellan walked right into the first hotel in Hiroshima that we stayed in after we moved out of our apt. and shouted: "America!!" Hard to tell how much he understood about leaving. Seems like he's had an easier time adjusting than Jolon. Although he still uses a lot of Japanese, his English has already gotten lots better. (He used the word, "probably" the other day.) We've been here 5 weeks and just yesterday Jan said that he heard him talking to himself in English for the first time. After a month of swimming lessons, he can put his head under the water for several seconds and open his eyes. He's done surprisingly well adjusting to the playschool. He's still a bit hesitant to go in at first and usually cries a little, but he hasn't thrown any fits yet. Which is worth noting, because he can WAIL when he gets upset playing with Jolon or when he gets too tired, too hungry, etc. He's still scared of dogs and Grandpa's cats, but he can be fearless in other situations, like today when he fell in the creek while trying to go across. I totally expected a flood of tears, but instead he just announced, "My pants, and my socks, and my shoes and my legs are wet........but I'm ok."
Esme: Her nickname Chibi has sort of morphed into, "Chibber." Quite an ugly nickname but we all use it so it may be around for awhile. She started pulling up around 7 and 1/2 months. She waves goodbye. I think, "Night night," may be her first official word. She'll repeat it after me when we say good night to everyone before I take her upstairs to her room. She still usually takes 3 naps a day and because that third one is around 5:00, doesn't often go to sleep until after 9:00 which is after the boys are already asleep and way too late for me. Waving is one of her favorite tricks and she can really slay strangers when we're out shopping and she gives them a big grin and wave. She adores Jolon and loves when he tries to make her laugh. She loves watching Kellan as well, but is a bit more wary of him as he tends to hug too tightly and talk too loudly. She still strokes my hair as she's going to sleep which is one of the best parts of my day.
5 comments:
So glad you updated M and so nice to hear that you are all well. We are looking after your apartment and LOVE IT!!! Still doing some organizing and rearranging but it is looking pretty good. Will post some before/after pictures on my blog soon.
Please smooch everyone from us.
Nic, B and Os xoxo
in tears.....missing you all like crazy cakes! But happy all is going nicely over there. Looking forward to another update soon. Big hugs and kisses from us to everyone!! xxoo auntie terin, uncle peter and amara-chibi xxoo
We miss you guys so much; talk about you all the time. Thanks for writing.
I am so happy to have run into your old friends in Yokogawa last weekend and they mentioned this blog- I hadn't found it, but finally did and am so glad to keep up with you all in some way like this. The video and the pictures are a great relief to me as I see how beautiful it is, amazing the backyard is and how healthy and wonderful it is for you and the kids to be around so much family and friends that adore you all!
Nia also loves her swimming classes at the Y here with the oniichan that treats them with a slide and she can put her face under "realllllly good" she tells me and demonstrates in the bath for me. Like Esme she always softly pinches my neck as she goes to sleep- part of her night-time ritual, so I am sure Ezzie will do it too for quite a while longer.
Did you get my mail that I saw Kellan in the latest TJ magazine for a brand called Jap-D? I will send it to you, its such a cute smile!
It is great having both Nic and Erin at the YIK with Nia, I wish I could see them more socially, but at least I know Nia is well loved and taken care of by her great teachers!
Felix is growing up so fast, we gave him his own room and I took all of my and nia's stuff out and he is really pleased with his giant bed and no baby pictures on the walls- my little boy, sniff sniff
Missing you lots and looking forward to your next updates :-)
Still planning on joining FB?
Hi Joy. Thanks for writing. Good to hear from you and know you are doing well. I did get that funny pic of Kellan in the magazine...nice of you to send it. Big hugs to Nia, Felix and Paul. love, m
Post a Comment